Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?

Yes, dogs can eat Mushrooms. Dogs can eat mushrooms bought from a supermarket or other shop, preferably organic, unseasoned, and raw.

But you should always avoid any wild mushrooms. As there’s such a vast variety of mushrooms and they’re so difficult to tell apart, you should treat any wild mushroom with caution as some are incredibly poisonous.

Can Dogs Eat Wild Mushrooms?

Picture this scenario. You are walking along a wooded trail with your dog, and they are enthusiastically sniffing the ground when you notice they have stopped to eat something.

You kneel down to see what it is and discover that your dog has snapped up a wild mushroom. If your first reaction is panic, you’re on the right track.

Some people believe that dogs won’t eat toxic mushrooms because they can identify toxins by scent. Unfortunately, this is not true. Veterinarians and mushroom experts believe that wild mushroom poisoning is an under-reported cause of fatal poisoning in dogs.

Responding quickly to a suspected mushroom snack is the best thing you can do for your dog in these circumstances.

If your dog has ingested a wild mushroom, contact your veterinarian, animal poison control center, or emergency veterinary hospital immediately.

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms

Are Mushrooms Bad for Dogs?

Although store-bought mushrooms aren’t toxic to dogs, they don’t offer many benefits either. In short, there are much more nutritious fruits and veggies you can feed your pup as a snack, such as blueberries, broccoli, or green beans.

That said, many wild mushrooms can be poisonous to dogs. Because of this, it’s important to monitor your yard for any shroom squatters and to supervise your pup on walks, hikes, at the dog park, or whenever he’s outside.

If you see your dog eat a wild mushroom, take a sample to bring to your veterinarian so they know what they’re dealing with. If your dog gobbled up the entire mushroom, give a description of its appearance and the surroundings to your vet as best as you can.

How to Feed Mushrooms to Your Dog Safely

If you still want to let your dog, try a mushroom the non-toxic kind that is also safe for humans, that is Schmid says “No worries.” In general, store-bought and garden-grown mushrooms that you eat are safe for canine consumption.

Wash potential pesticides off them first and don’t mix them in unhealthy recipes or with other toxic ingredients to share with your dog. Then chomp away.

But there’s not much reason to give your dog a ‘shroom, according to Hinder: “Mushrooms don’t provide any nutritional value to dogs though, so there’s no reason to purposely feed them to your pets.”

If you and your dog want to share a mushroom on occasion, awesome. But since they don’t offer any nutrients for your puppy, maybe pick a new, even more nutritious human food to share together instead.

What Happens If Your Dog Eats A Poisonous Mushroom?

The symptoms of mushroom poisoning will depend on the species of mushroom and the amount your dog eats. Your dog might suffer mild digestive upset or he might become very sick and your vet might not be able to save him.

But the faster you get him to the vet, the better the outcome. So don’t delay it can take 12 hours for your dog to show symptoms of mushroom poisoning and by then, it may be too late.

The most common signs of mushroom toxicity include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Teary
  • Weakness
  • Ataxia (walking like he’s drunk)
  • Lethargy
  • Jaundice (yellowing skin or eyes)
  • Abdominal pain

If your dog ate a mushroom, and especially if he has any of these signs, take your dog and the mushroom to the vet (even a picture of the mushroom will do).

Your vet will run blood and urine tests to make sure the toxins from the mushrooms do as little harm to your dog’s organs as possible. Your vet might induce vomiting or give your dog activated charcoal to stop the toxin from leaving your dog’s digestive tract and traveling to his organs.

The organs most likely to be affected by mushroom toxicity include the

Digestive Tract

Your dog might develop mild digestive symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea.

Nervous System

If the mushroom is toxic to the nervous system, you may see signs of hallucination. This might include weakness, trembling, stumbling and lack of coordination, agitation, and even seizures.

Liver And Kidneys

Some mushrooms will affect your dog’s liver. Some species can even cause liver failure. These symptoms take longer to appear, but you’ll see weakness, lethargy, and jaundice.

Your dog must be treated quickly to avoid irreversible liver damage. The toxins in some mushrooms can also damage the kidneys. It can take hours or days before you notice symptoms and by then, the damage may also be irreversible.

An emergency visit to the vet sounds frightening and expensive but left untreated, mushroom poisoning can lead to organ failure, seizures, and death. Even one mushroom of the wrong species can kill a medium-sized dog, so it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Which Mushrooms Can Your Dog Eat?

All mushroom species that you can eat are safe for your dog to eat. Pick mushrooms sold at your local store and ensure they don’t have preservatives.

Also, ensure that you choose the organic mushrooms over the non-organic ones. Dogs can’t process toxins and chemicals like humans. Thus, it would be better to stick with organic mushrooms if you plan on giving mushrooms to your dog.

Shiitake Mushrooms

These mushrooms are potent immune-boosting mushrooms with anti-tumor and anti-cancer benefits. They are great for supporting and modulating the immune system. Shiitake mushrooms also offer anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.

Porcini Mushrooms

Porcini mushrooms have an earthy flavor. You can find them mostly in Italian dishes. Also, dried porcini mushrooms are a good source of vitamin D.

White Button Mushrooms

Button mushrooms are the most common mushroom species found in local stores. They are rich in phosphorus, selenium, and vitamin D.

How is Mushroom Toxicity Diagnosed?

If you notice any of the above symptoms, you need to take the dog for a Veterinary examination immediately. The Vet will ask a couple of questions relating to the dog’s medical history, enabling him to construct a medical profile of the dog.

Dr. Wigfall recommends taking photos of the mushroom from different angles to help identify the mushroom your dog ate. You’ll need to share with the Vet all details about the onset and nature of symptoms and what you believe might have aggravated the situation.

“Mushrooms can be incredibly difficult to identify, so the more information we have, the more likely we will be able to identify it. Bring a sample of the mushroom in a damp paper towel if possible. Modern technology is improving all the time.

Now, apps and online support groups are dedicated to identifying mushroom species for veterinarians to target treatment and give owners a better idea of how serious a problem they are facing.”

After constructing your dog’s medical profile, the vet will conduct a physical examination of the dog, including checking for gastrointestinal distress and dehydration signs. The next steps usually involve blood, poo, and urine analysis.

Leave a Comment