Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

No, dogs should never eat grapes. When dogs eat grapes of any kind and in any form, they are at risk of kidney (renal) failure. All types of grapes, whether cooked, seedless, peeled, dried, or fresh, are toxic to dogs, even in small amounts.

You should also avoid giving your dog any grape products such as raisins, juices, jelly, or jam.

Can a Single Grape Kill a Dog?

Unfortunately, even consuming one grape or raisin can be fatal. Ingesting the fruit could potentially lead to acute (sudden) kidney failure in dogs.

Signs and Symptoms of Toxic Ingestion

  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy, weakness, and unusual stillness
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea, often within a few hours
  • Abdominal pain (tender when touched)
  • Dehydration (signs include panting, dry nose and mouth, and pale gums). A quick way to test for dehydration is to gently pull up on the skin at the back of your dog’s neck. It should spring back immediately if they are properly hydrated.
  • Increased thirst and/or urine production or diminished amount of urine or complete cessation altogether
  • Kidney failure (which can be fatal)
Can Dogs Eat Grapes

Can Dogs Have Grapes or Raisins in Any Amount?

No. Dogs cannot eat peeled or seedless grapes or raisins—which are dried grapes—in any amount. The exact cause of grape toxicity in dogs after they ingest a grape is not known. Some dogs may suffer more severe reactions than others.

Why are grapes bad for dogs? The reason why grapes have such a toxic effect on dogs remains mostly unknown, only that they hurt their health.

Purina Nutritionist Karina Carbo-Johnson, MS says, “If you keep grapes in your household, make sure they are out of reach. Dogs may be tempted to try something within reach or because they have observed your behavior and recognize the fruit as food.”

What To Do if Your Dog Ate Grapes or Raisins

When your dog eats grapes or raisins, a veterinarian may ask you to try to induce vomiting at home. “We want to get the grapes or raisins out of the stomach as soon as possible,” says Brutlag.

A veterinarian may recommend that you give your dog a small amount of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, guiding you on the correct dose for your dog’s weight and age. You’ll pour or squirt the hydrogen peroxide into the back of the dog’s mouth or the back of your dog’s cheek. “If we get that grape or raisin back [in the vomit],” Brutlag says, “the dog owner may be able to monitor the dog at home.”

But Brutlag warns that pet owners should not try to induce vomiting if their dog is struggling to breathe or unconscious, especially for brachycephalic breeds such as bulldogs, French bulldogs, mastiffs, and pugs. Their short, flat noses make them more likely to breathe in—or aspirate—vomit if they throw up (which can be fatal).

If you suspect your dog has ingested something else toxic with the grapes or raisins (like a household chemical), vomiting isn’t safe for them, and you need to visit the veterinarian immediately.

Leave a Comment